Communication in Nigeria is of huge advantage when it comes to Business be it local or international. We will be looking at the various forms of communications, as well as its advantages and benefits to Business.
So sit back, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy this post.
Communication is the process of exchanging or transmission of meaningful information, feelings, opinions and ideas from one person to another or from one place to another. It is a two way process which involves sending and receiving of messages.
Communication has played an important roles in commerce by enhancing all forms of business activities. The development of telecommunication systems has also eased and hastened contacts between people in commercial centres.
Development and means of communication in Nigeria.
In Nigeria the earliest means of communication is the human voice. Communication then was based on the level of development at the time.
Traditional media of communication
- Wooden/talking drums.
- Town criers.
- Metal gong.
- Palm fronds.
- Smoke signal.
- Gun blast.
Forms of Communication in Nigeria
1 Oral communication: This is a form of communication in which people exchange information through spoken words in different languages.
2 Written communication: This is a form of communication through the exchange of written documents.
Communication network in Nigeria.
1) Telecommunication in Nigeria
Meaning: Telecommunication is the technology used in sending signals, images and messages over long distance by telephone and satellite. Some of the telecommunications system include the use of:
Transmission through satellite.
2) Postal services:
Private boxes and bags.
Business reply services.
Licensing of franking machine.
3) Mass media:
Meaning: Mass media involves the transmission of messages through special media of communication to the public.
Types of Mass media.
There are two major types or groups of Mass media.
- A) Electronic media: This involves the use of electronics like radio, television, film show, etc to transmit information to the people.
- B) Print media: This involves the use of media like newspapers, banners, handbills, newsletters, hand- outs, pamphlets, posters, etc to disseminate information to the people.
Advantages of Mass media
1 They can reach out to a large audience, provides it is within their means.
2 They may not require the presence of the operators.
3 The information can easily reach the audience at a fixed date and and time
4 Time wasting and stress involved in going round the audience are eliminated.
5 The information, especially the print media, last long.
6 The printed information can be posted or received by mail.
7 Pictures in electronic can easily be served as demonstration aids.
8 It is useful in information dissemination to the deaf but literate audience.
Disadvantages of Mass media.
1 They are very expensive to operate eg talks on radio or television.
2 Media like newspapers and magazines are only useful to the educated audience, the illiterate audience can never benefit.
3 The audience may find it difficult to ask questions on matters which they do not understand.
Meaning: Internet is a global network of computers and communication devices. It is also a public network that connects several computers, communication devices and smaller networks into a global network.
WWW: This is referred to as World Wide Web. It is a system with universally accepted standard for storing, retrieving and displaying information using client architecture.
Web site: This is a location on the Internet where individual or organization information can be assessed or reached.
E-mail: This is used to describe various system of sending data or messages electronically through telecommunication.
Benefits of e-mail
The benefits of e-mail are:
Benfits of internet to organization
1) Reducing communication
2) Accelerating the distribution and marketing of product
3) Enhances communication
4)Facilitates commercial activities
5) Facilitates banking services
6) Improves governance through E-government.
Problems of internet
1) There is the problem of inadequate security.
2) There is no formal organization.
3) No special and clear guidelines on how the rules of internet should be established and developed.
Meaning: A satellite is a communication equipment which is deployed and stationed in the space to send signals to different countries of the world.
Functions of satellite
1) Satellite provides telephone and television links among nations of the world.
2) It ensures international or global transmission of messages.
3) It ensures that live events are covered and watched simultaneously.
6) Courier services
Meaning: Courier services are duties rendered by privately owned courier companies to provide reliable and efficient means of conveying urgent documents within and between cities and towns.
Function of courier companies
1) Provision of efficient means of mail delivery
2) Safe delivery of documents.
3) Ensure cordial relationship.
4) Transportation of load.
5) Shipments of goods.
6) Business reply services.
7) Proof of delivery.
8) Banking services.
9) Render services in all location.
10) Door to door services
Importance of communication on human activities
1) Promotion of commercial activities.
2) Enchances settlement of inter-national indebtedness.
3) Creation of awareness for goods and services.
4) Reduction in cost and risk of travelling.
5) Facilitates contact between business men.
6) Communication enhanes inter-national trade.
7) Facilitates mail order business.
8) Provides information for government policies.
9) Enhances air and sea transport.
10) Provides good and fast means of spreading information.
11) Ensures quick and delivery of documents.
Problems of communication in Nigeria.
1) Inadequate infrastructure.
2) Inadequate personnel.
3) Poor services.
4) Poor network dimensioning.
5) High tariff.
6) Inadequate regulatory body.
7) Call failure.
8) Vandalization of equipment.
Solutions to communication problems
1) Provision of infastructure
2) Training of personnel.
3) Engagement of expariates.
4) Adequate network dimensioning.
5) Reduction of tariff.
6) Effective and efficient regulatory body.
7) Reduction in call failure.
8) Provision of adequate security services.
I hope you enjoyed reading through this article? For observations, suggestions please use the COMMENT section below.
Thanks for reading, we hope to see you back again!!!