Orange amazing health benefits includes protecting the eyes and improving vision, enhancing sexual performance, preventing constipation, bolstering the immune system, improving mood, promoting dental health, regulating blood pressure, improving skin appearance, preventing cancerous cell growth, promoting digestion of food, and protecting the heart.
Read part one of this Article Here. We discussed extensively the values, origin, Botanical names of different types of Oranges around the world. Do check it out, because we want to base this articles on the 13 most highly researched orange benefits. You will be amazed you did.
Vitamins in Citrus.
Oranges are extremely common, no matter which part of the world you live. In fact, it is the most popular citrus fruit, thanks to its juicy taste and high concentration of Vitamins and health boosting compounds.
It is widely used in aromatherapy, can be made in juices and more, making it a versatile fruit. Oranges (known scientifically as Citrus Sinensis fruit) belong to the Rutaceae family and is found growing primarily in tropical climate.
More Orange benefits are seen in various perspectives. Even though oranges are known for their health prowess, you don’t even need a real reason to eat more, simply because they taste wonderful.
Nutritional Information of Oranges (per 100g)
Total Carbohydrate -11.75g
Dietary Fiber- 2.40g 6% RDI
Potassium- 169mg 3.5% RDI
Vitamin A – 7.5%RDI
Vitamin C- 90% RDI
Iron- 1% RDI
Calcium- 4% RDI
- Protects The Eyes And Improves Vision. Eating foods rich in Vitamin A can contribute to maintaining healthy eyes. Oranges are a decent source of Vitamin A, which along with other bioflavonoid compounds help to protect the eyes from mascular degeneration, cataracts and even blindness due to deterioration of vision. When oranges are added to the diet, they can offer adequate protection to the membranes lining the eyes and may be useful in promoting vision and maintaining eye health for years.
- Enhances Sexual Performance. Orange benefits in the sense that it has mild biological properties which can be used to enhance sexual performance in both males and females. When used regularly, it may be able to put a stop to sexual problems like erectile dysfunction and decreased libido from affecting your sex life. Oranges may also increase the secretion of the sex hormones and improve sex drive and erection potency, all playing favorably to enhancing sex life.
- Prevents Constipation. Constipation occurs when there is difficulty in passing stool due to irregular bowel movements, or hardening of faecal matter due to inadequate water intake. The fiber found in Oranges make it effective in preventing and providing relief from constipation. Orange is also necessary to prevent constipation, which luckily has high water content and makes the passage of stool an easy and routine process.
- Boosters the Immune System. Oranges contain Vitamin, a vitamin known to stimulate immune function. It can assist the functions of immune system anti-bodies and immune cells that need to detect and quickly destroy invading pathogens. This is another health benefits of orange no one ought to joke with. Oranges also contain many other accessory nutrients which together with Vitamin C help to reduce oxidative stress on cells.
- Improves Mood. Oranges may help elevate mood and reduce depression especially when used aromatherapeutically. The warm Citrus scent of oranges help to relieve anxiety, and induce a sense of calming relaxation. The citrus aroma is also believed to contain specific flavonoids which can improve mood when you are stressed. Oranges have been used historically as a relief for stress, as it is believed that they help to reduce cortisol levels in the body, confirmed by their ability to enhance sexual function (which is indicative of healthy testosterone levels).
- Promotes Dental Health. Maintenance of the teeth and the gums should be a top priority when it comes to taking care of the mouth, as infectious agents can attack the gum and gain easy entry into the blood supply. Citrus fruits like Orange help promote healthy gums by strengthening the blood vessels and tissues that hold the gums and teeth, and also uses Vitamin C to reduce gum inflammation. The disease scurvy, characterized by bleeding gums and poor healing of wounds, is aggravated by diminished collagen production, caused by vitamin C deficiency. That being said, Orange health benefits can’t be over emphasized.
- Regulates Blood Pressure. Oranges are a great fruit for helping to regulate blood pressure, as they contain the mineral potassium which dilates blood vessels, along with the bio-flavonoids which improve flexibility of the vessels. Potassium has a regulatory effect on water balance, helping to offset water retention caused by sodium. Oranges help to enhance kidney function as well, a potassium ions ensure that residue does not remain in the kidneys, and cause kidney stones. The kidneys also play a role in blood pressure regulation.
- Improves Skin Appearance. It is now well established that oranges have a stimulatory action on collagen production, making it an ideal food for your beauty needs. Oranges can also help minimize acne scars, as new skin cells help to reduce the appearance of old scars and blemishes. Coupled with Vitamin A, which has ultra violet re upflecting action, your skin health can be maintained for many more years.
- Prevents Cancerous Cell Growth. Cancer typically occurs when cells in the body divide abnormally, bypassing mechanisms to program their death. These rapidly dividing cells destroy other cells and organs in the body, often by reprogramming these cells to also grow uncontrollably. Oranges may be a natural way to prevent cancer since they contain certain phytochemicals that can fight the spread of cancer, especially on the skin, and of the colon and stomach. Prevention of cancer using oranges is far cheaper and safer than having to rely on treatment after the fact.
- Promotes Digestion Of Food. Problems with the digestive system are often associated with increased acidity in the stomach as well as disorders affecting the intestines. Oranges help improve the functions of the digestive system by stimulating the secretion of the digestive juices and lowering the acidity of the stomach so that digestion is promoted and gastritis is avoided.
- Protects the Heart. When blood flow is prevented due to the presence of excessive cholesterol and fatty acids, nutrients and oxygen-rich blood do not reach vital organs and tissues and this could give rise to serious health complications. The regular consumption of oranges may provide protection for the heart by assisting the body to lower the level of cholesterol. They are able to do this because they have a high level of soluble fiber which promotes fat removal from blood.
- Promotes Healthy Hair. Loss of hair can be prevented by eating oranges. It contains constituents that help promote free flow of blood to the scalp and is effective in maintaining hair volume therefore common hair problems like hair thinning and hair loss are prevented. The peel of the Orange fruit may also be effective in controlling dandruff as well and thanks to its collagen promoting properties, the result in lustrous well-kept hair.
- Helps Manage Asthma. It was revolutionary when it was found that oranges help to reduce symptoms of asthma, which today is known to be as a result of the presence of citrus bio-flavonoids. These compounds reduce the sensitivity of mast cells to histamine, the trigger that frequently initiates an asthma attack. Regular consumption of oranges has been attributed to decreasing the frequency of these attacks, and it is believed to even eliminate asthma attacks in a subset of the population.
In conclusion, Orange fruit is known for its outstanding health benefits as well as its versatility. The juice from oranges can be refreshing and nourishing and it is a rich source of so many Vitamins that are beneficial to health.
Fresh Oranges can be purchased from local fruit stores and are better substitutes to drinking processed Orange juice, which typically comes loaded with artificial preservatives and sugar.
I hope you enjoyed and learned a lot from this article. If this post was helpful, please share this with your friends and loved ones so they can also get the knowledge about undeniable health benefits of orange and apply that to their daily routines.
So what is your own take on this post? Is there any more awesome benefits of orange that wasn’t covered in this post? Please use the COMMENT section below to air your views.